my not so fascinating life

thoughts, links, comments, rants, whatever

Google
  Web Not so fascinating life   

8.21.2004

Writah

At lunch today we were talking about what we plan on doing when this freelance job is over in a couple weeks. One guy said he'd just LOVE to take a few weeks off and write. Immediately, four other people at the table agreed "oh, that would be great, to be able to sit and write write write!"

It was disgusting.

The pretention kills me. I spent four years with people who thought they were more artistic, creative, and honestly, better than everyone else because they were "writahs". It's like everyone feels disgruntled with their lives and thinks that becoming a paid screen/television writher will solve all their problems. I have news for them; maybe they never really considered it before: The actual act of forcing yourself to slog through some piece of shit screenplay every day for the rest of your life WILL MAKE YOU JUST AS MISERABLE as whatever is making you miserable now. I know, I did it every day for four years. Why do you think you don't write every day now, and you didn't write every day the last time you were on vacation, and you have never just naturally written every day--ever?

It's true some people are natural writers who enjoy this kind of thing, but it's rare to find a natural writer, and somehow I doubt 5 of the 8 people at the table were natural writers.

Thank you for listening to this rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home