Feelin' Like Writin' Again
I used to want to be a writer. For the same reasons everyone else and their brother wants to be a writer. I can write, right? I mean on the most basic level, making a sentence is not all that difficult for me, so why not write a novel? Or a screenplay? Writers make millions of dollars, they are extremely respected for their work. At the time I made minimum wage plus some and was extremely non-respected.
Great reasoning, right? I spent 5 full years pursuing this goal full-time, at a big-name university. Then I graduated. Then I quickly gave up. I had learned enough about the world to realize that just because I can physically write (like spell words and make a sentence), doesn't mean I should expect to make a living as a writer.
I did a lot of soul-searching and I realized that I had spent my life more as a reader of books, as a reader of short stories, as a watcher of movies, than a creator. I was (and still am) the ultimate consumer. I couldn't change how I was, I tried to change for five years and really was only mediocre at best.
--
So all this I know, all this I have processed and dealt with. So why am I suddenly feeling like I want to write again? I don't know if it's the depression/no job/new city talking, or if there's really something there this time...

2 Comments:
I go through the same cycles myself. But then I read a great book, Atwood or Dickens, or whomever, and I think there's no way I'll ever come close. I start stories, and I don't finish them. Oh sure, I can put words on paper, but there's a lot more to being a writer, and what do I really have to say to the world anyway?
I agree with Ken, if it's there, write it. We'd love to read it, there aren't enough written words in the computer world to keep me from being bored out of my skull at work most days.
Post a Comment
<< Home