my not so fascinating life

thoughts, links, comments, rants, whatever

Google
  Web Not so fascinating life   

2.09.2005

The Bookcase part II -- the Bureau

A few weeks ago, I bought a used Bureau that needed a paint job. Seeing as I have a little time on my hands these days, I decided to get started with the sanding/painting of the bureau, thinking it would be a fun easy project like the bookcase was.

Oh how I was wrong. I don't think I looked carefully enough when I bought the Bureau-- unlike the bookcase, the Bureau is cheaply made. It feels rickety and even though I have reinforced it in places I mostly feel like it's a waste of time to refinish such a piece of crap.

Also, this bureau is OLD. In sanding it down, I have learnd that it has been repainted several times. First it was white, then light blue, then a leaf green, then a slightly darker shade of leaf grean, then, finally, white again. Unfortunately, no one sanded in between previous coats of paint, so most of the trim details are lost in the muck. Also, the paint somehow morphed into a very hard shellac-like shell that is a @#$! to get off. My arms are tired from sanding, and I still have lots more to do.

I still have my fingers crossed that when it's done it will be a very handsome chocolate brown bookcase. I'll let you know.

1 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I hope you didn't inhale, sounds like you were dealing with turbo-lead based paint!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home