It Happened
Sorta just like I thought it would.
My boss called me and a co-worker, K, into his office to discuss a meeting we had earlier in the day. (a meeting no one had told me about and they just invited me into when they saw me standing around.) When we finally all gathered in the office, he didn't even mention the meeting and launched into how unsure he was about the whole show format bla bla bla.
I just kept thinking, "He's going to do this in front of K? What, does he need a buddy around for moral support?"
"We have to revamp the show format, and I have to run it by the the network and everything, so in the meantime you should go home for a couple weeks. "
I had planned to say so much more, stuff like, "it's been a pleasure, the show's going to be great no matter what, bla bla bla." Instead, all I said was "Okay."
My boss continued, smiling at me widely, "I'll send you the rewrite when I finish it, and I'll be in contact in the next couple weeks. Okay. Now I'll leave you two to it."
He left the room and my co-worker "K" looked at me. She asked me to show her my filing system, "just in case."
Tomorrow, though. That means I still have to go into work tomorrow. And figure out what to say to people, when to leave, etc. AARGH.
Anyway, if my boss actually calls me in a couple of weeks, I would be very very very surprised. This is a "firing" disguized as a "laying off" I think.
At least I didn't cry. I actually feel better today, at least things are settled.

3 Comments:
Ken, I'm going to wait until my Permanent Residency comes in -- about 6 weeks -- to start looking for a new job. I highly doubt my boss will call me in 2 weeks anyhow. After that I will have a much easier time finding something because I can work as a Canadian, and companies up here get lots of tax breaks for employing Canadians.
that was messed up of them...
yet, i'm envious.
I got fired once, walking by the bosses office on a on a Monday morning of all things, I made a joke about not getting an email invite to the morning meeting and he called me in and fired me. It was my 91st day on the job. It happened when I was sober, too, so I can't blame my drinking.
And of course, I had no transportation, I had to wait 2 hours for my ride to arrive. It was horrible. It makes me sick thinking about it.
Post a Comment
<< Home