my not so fascinating life

thoughts, links, comments, rants, whatever

Google
  Web Not so fascinating life   

2.01.2005

Getting a little Anti-American flack

So one of my co-workers has made a few anti-American comments here and there directed at me. Even though he knows I am VERY MUCH against Bush/thewar/lots of shit America does.

Today it was, "You Americans are such bullies! Invading other countries and telling them what to do." (no he's not gay, although this comment sounds gay) He said it in a non-joking way, sort of blaming me for what America is doing.

I just stared at him, dumbfounded. He KNOWS I am against the war, so I don't really understand what he was doing except picking a fight. Luckily another co-worker was there to save me with a kinda helpful, "She's an ex-pat, leave her alone."

This is not the first time something like this has happened to me in Canada. It bothers me that all Americans are stereotyped now. Thanks for nothing, Bush.

2 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Just Me said...

ewwwwww...that would make me mad

Imagine how I feel, I live in Texas

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said...

Even I had to laugh at the Palestinian reaction to Richard Gere's statement (the one in which he spoke for the entire world and several other planets besides). Some Palestinians equated Gere with Bush's policies toward the Palestinians, showing a complete misunderstanding of the multiple views in American politics. (Of course, we perfectly understand the Palestinians now, don't we?)

You'd think that Canadians would understand that different Americans have different views, and that an American that has come to live in Canada might have a reason for doing so.

It makes you wonder, though - if the Hollywood elites ever made good on their threat to leave the country, would citizens of their new host country stand outside their villas chanting "Fascist warmongers!"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home