my not so fascinating life

thoughts, links, comments, rants, whatever

Google
  Web Not so fascinating life   

9.13.2004

A sandwich to remember

I'm in Vancouver now, just got in last night after a pleasant day of travel.

The only interesting thing to report about the flight was the "light lunch" that Alaska Airlines provided. I wish I had a picture of it for you, I was starving and expecting something good. Instead, the Stewardess placed a limp warm sandwich in a tin foil pocket on my tray.

Suspicious but hungry, I opened it up. The sandwich was on a white soft eggy bun. Inside was unidentifiable meat and some melted unidentifiable cheese. No lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, mustard, or any other condiment-like substance. Only meat and cheese. I usually enjoy airplane food, but this was ridiculous. And only barely identifiable as food.

I smelled the meat, then tasted it, and still I couldn't decide if it was turkey, ham, turkey-ham, or Other. By this time, the guy sitting next to me was staring at me like I was nuts. He hadn't touched his tin foil package, and I think the smell coming from my sandwich was grossing him out. Too bad for him.

I like turkey AND ham, so whatever this meat was I figured it would be edible. I decided I was, indeed, hungry enough to eat this mystery sandwich, and so I went to work. I wolfed it down, giving myself a case of the hiccups because the drink cart hadn't come by yet, which caused more sideways stares from my neighbor.

The sandwich was salty, over-processed, and the cheese had a weird, grainy texture that I have never encountered before, but I guess it filled my stomach. Suffice to say, I was very happy to land and have a real dinner with real food (and real beer).

3 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger grace said...

gross. we didn't get anything... we had a layover in oakland, so maybe that's why.

i'm glad we didn't get anything now. *shudder*

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger gg said...

ewww... I bet food on international flights can be horrific.

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it can be. A 15 hr flight w/ the scariest breakfast burrito, seabass & unidentified meat product "crossiant" I've ever seen! I made that trip from Tokyo to home about 9 times and the food sucked, always! ~J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home