my not so fascinating life

thoughts, links, comments, rants, whatever

Google
  Web Not so fascinating life   

9.06.2004

Dinner

Tonight for dinner I decided to use up some of the canned food I have been hoarding in my cupboard. I got out a chair, climbed up, and spent quite a while examining the strange cans that have built up over the years. I would encourage anyone to do the same thing, because I found some interesting food choices.

There were strange mushrooms, chinese sauces, beans (oh God, the beans!), fruit, and -- most interestingly -- one pop-top canned thai soup called Tom Kha Gai. I enjoy this soup in Thai restaurants, so I decided I would eat it for dinner. The can couldn't be more than five years old, but it was so dirty it looked 20 years old, so I washed it off before I opened it up.

I opened it up and the coconut-mushroom-lemongrass soup immediately smelled, well, rotten. Now, keep in mind the soup is coconut milk AND lemongrass mixed together, which are not normal smells to mix together anyway (not to me). I sniffed and examined, but I couldn't decide if it was a little rotten, or just really bad Tom Kha Gai soup.

In the end, hunger won out.

I figured I would heat it up, and when it was hot I would taste it and see if it tasted right. I heated it up, and I found that if I didn't inhale too deeply, it tasted very good. SO I ate it all. We'll see, if I start feeling sick soon I'll know why.

The only embarassing afterlogue to this story is that my roomate and her boyfriend walked through the kitchen as I was eating, and I got the impression they thought it smelled TERRIBLE. I wanted to yell to them, "it tastes okay if you don't inhale!" But I chose not to think too much about what I was eating because it was grossing me out.

5 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger grace said...

there ain't nuthin' wrong with kimchee.

anyway, kimchee's better when it's a little fermented. hehe... anyway, i have never seen it in a can before... if you see kimchee in a can, stay away from it...

mmm. i know what's for dinner tonight!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger gg said...

I agree, I think Kimchee would have grossed out my roommates way more than the soup did. If I ate both at the same time they would probably move out.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger grace said...

hehehe. i know. i guess since i grew up with it, it doesn't seem quite so gross... but i know most people seriously dislike it...

i LOVE it. mmmm... but i don't get many kisses after i have it...

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger gg said...

DON'T KISS ME WITH YOUR KIMCHEE MOUTH...

maybe it's an interesting way to get back at a significant other who is a smoker, ashtray mouth = kimchee mouth.

No offense, Grace, I actually enjoy a little kimchee from time to time, but it does smell like the wet forgotten corners of a bachelor's vegetable drawer.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger grace said...

hahaha... kimchee kisses = bliss :P

J: tell us how your kimchee experience went. some people have said not to inhale while eating it...

you might want to let it ferment just a tad first, though. hehehe... that just sounds so wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home