my not so fascinating life

thoughts, links, comments, rants, whatever

Google
  Web Not so fascinating life   

9.20.2004

Who thinks up this stuff?

During my time off I usually spend a lot of time watching daytime television, and this break is no different.

I was getting ready to go for a run and the TV had finished the program I was watching (Fear Factor, if you care) and had moved on to some Soap Opera. I was just barely lacing up my sneakers, when I witnessed this Soap Opera moment, which I will transcribe for you as follows:

A MAN AND A WOMAN ARE SITTING ACROSS FROM EACH OTHER IN A RESTAURANT. A LARGE FISHTANK IS BEHIND THE MAN. THE WOMAN HAS JUST FINISHED MAKING CRASS SEXUAL INNUENDOS AT THE MAN. (Example I swear she really said: "You're as hot as the appetizer I just ordered!")

WOMAN
(STARING AT LARGE FISH IN TANK)
That fish is creeping me out!

INSERT SHOT OF FISH LOOKING AT WOMAN. SUDDENLY, SOME OTHER WOMAN'S FACE IS INSERTED ONTO THE FISH USING CRUDE VISUAL EFFECTS.

WOMAN
That fish has the eyes of a psycho killer!
MAN
A psycho killer fish?

THE WOMAN BECOMES VISIBLY UPSET AS SHE RECOGNIZES THE FACE ON THE FISH

WOMAN
It's... Jan!

FIN

This scene led to a quick succession of mental thoughts:

1. WTF WAS THAT????
2. This has to be a joke.
3. IT'S REAL! WTF???
4. Who the hell uses the term "psycho killer" in real life?
5. So is this scene supposed to mean that the woman is getting some kind of psychic message FROM A FISH that Jan is a psycho killer?
6. WTF???
7. I can't believe I'm trying to make sense of this f'd up scene.
8. I have to get online and post about this!

I can't believe someone got paid to write that, and perhaps more unbelievably, some boss read the script and said "this is great! let's shoot the scene just like this! Jan's face on the fish, brilliant!"

2 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger grace said...

oh, man! i need to watch that show!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said...

When you have to write an hour's worth of dialogue a DAY, things are bound to slip through.

My favorite soap opera moment is a Geico ad - wooden acting and all. "I saved! I thought that meant something to you!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home