The Story of the Ugly Little Bookcase
So I guess this Christmas Miracle story begins as many do, with an Ugly Abused Little Bookcase. Many years ago, my BF ripped this Ugly Little Bookcase away from his friends in the used furniture store, ignored him for several years, and then moved him hundreds of miles north-- to Vancouver, Canada.
Ugly Bookcase did not take this move very well. In fact, when I first laid eyes on the Ugly Little Bookcase I couldn't believe my BF even bothered to keep it. It was black with huge dents and chips in the paint, and boy was it FILTHY. I kept it by the door and put shoes on the bottom shelf.
I was planning on throwing Ugly Little Bookcase out, when I took another look at it one day. I saw that underneath the dust and dents and chipped paint, someone had once lovingly hand-crafted Ugly Little Bookcase out of solid wood. You don't see that too much in today's age of IKEA. I said, "With a little sanding and a fresh coat of paint, this Ugly Little Bookcase will look really good!" I think the Ugly Little Bookcase heard me because it seemed to perk up a little with the new attention it was getting.
So I made a trip to Home Depot and forged my way through the masses of shoppers and confusing paint-buying system. When I got home, I sanded down the Ugly Little Bookcase, trying to sand out all the dents. Then I painted him. I went to bed last night worried that the color was too bright, but when I woke up this morning I was very pleased to find the Ugly Little Bookcase was ugly no more-- overnight it had transformed into a very smart cool green Cute Little Bookcase.
The Cute Little Bookcase will not be used to hold shoes by the door anymore, he will be moved to a place of honor in the living room and be used to hold books, as any respectable Bookcase likes best.
And that's my Christmas Miracle story. (What, did you want something about Santa Claus?)

2 Comments:
good lord. you sanded it and painted it?
that's the miracle right there... i would never go to home depot and do such a thing. i'm lazy, i guess. hehe.
what a lucky little bookcase to have you in it's life
Post a Comment
<< Home