Quick Thoughts About Being Alone
In the last year, my significant other has spent a lot of time travelling, so I would often find myself alone for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. This was totally new to me. I am one of those people (or I used ot be) who always has other people around, I HATE being alone and moreover I'm AFRAID of being alone, but over the last year I really think I have faced my fears and realized it's not so bad.
Here's my progression of feelings when I know I will be alone for a long time/when I'm being alone:
1) Fear. It's the worst right before my boyfriend leaves, when I am picturing spending weeks at a time staring into space.
2) Exploration. I make myself go out and do things, like grocery shop alone or visit some place that I would like to see. I especially try to pick things that I like to do that my boyfriend doesn't like to do, that way it's kind of an unusual treat.
3) Acceptance. After about a week, I don't even notice that I'm alone any more. I have a new routine that usually involves reading more and watching more tv, but I'm actually fine at this point.
4) Enjoyment. After about 10 days I really really start to like being the solo decision maker of my entire life. If I want to eat nachos for dinner, I eat nachos for dinner. If I suddenly want to go to yoga after work, there's no phone call to make, I just go and don't worry about it. If I want to have a large alcoholic drink and move furniture at 1:00 AM, I can do that too without any funny looks or comments. There's no one to convice, or check with, or consult about anything. There are plusses to being alone.
5) Reluctance to go back. Isn't this step terrible? I love him to death, but my boyfriend is very very picky and particular about lots of things I'm not particular about, so I usually spend the last few days in an orgy of lights on, clothes on the floor and dishes undone.
Then the BF comes back and I'm not alone any more and life is good and this whole list is void. Anyway, over the last year I have really learned a lot about myself and grown so much as a person, who would of thought I could have ever spent three weeks alone in a brand new city? Not me.

2 Comments:
My 'other' is away a lot too, working bizarre shifts, and I don't even have my own work to go to, so I find myself having to fill up my time myself...and you know what? It's great! I get into a groove where I feel strong and efficient, and then I know what you mean about it being a bit weird when it's the 2 of you again. You go through a period of readjustment. No wonder I'm using my blog as a coping mechanism, not to mention as an outlet for my free time, and the fact that when something funny happens to me, I just have to tell SOMEONE!
As an only child, I'm more used to the being alone part, but I can definitely attest to the adjustment. After a one-week business trip, it takes a bit of work to get back into the family life.
Post a Comment
<< Home