Random Religion
So, like J, I enjoy clicking on the "next blog" link and seeing to whom it takes me. One thing I have learned by doing this is that there are many many many "Ultra-Christian" people out there in this world. Disturbingly, most of them seem to be younger.
Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people being religious, but I do have a trouble with Extremists of any religion. Anyone who talks about Jesus and God and Fellowship and Worship and Prayer and Tithing CONSTANTLY (I'm talking the content of every single post) is an extremist in my book. Some of these people are high schoolers! Don't they talk about boys, and makeup, and stuff like that?
Unfortunately, I didn't save links to the blogs that really disturbed me, so I've searched out a few that are similarly disturbing:
http://savedbygrace7.blogspot.com/
This Ultra Religious college Sophomore sounds confused about her roommate whom she's trying to Convert. Will they end up getting it on during one of their late-night before bed "prayer sessions" in the bedroom? Only time will tell. Quote:
"I want to show her Christ's love, but I often wonder if I am doing that. But, I often get impatient and look for immediate results. In this case, I don't think that will happen. I know she knows Jesus, and it is wonderful to watch her grow and it is wonderful to grow along side her...but will she let us love her? [...] She is my friend, I care for her and love her as a sister. She is my sister..in Christ!"
Ummm... okay
http://eyesonthesky.blogspot.com/
This woman is so used to looking to external sources (like Church) to shape herself and define who she is that some criticism from a "partner" (in what I have no idea) sends her into a tailspin:
"I'm reminded of some psychobabble the partner referred to did on me a while ago. She said that in her opinion I had a fundamental character flaw, like a shard or splinter running through my make-up, a blind-spot that caused me to be difficult. Thinking this through I'm now doubt myself even more. Do I need therapy, or is the enemy trying to condemn? I'm confused. Do I require Holy Spirit tweezers to pull out that splinter or is this mindgame designed to remove my focus from who I am in Christ? Or is it as someone once said: the very fact that you recognise the speck in another person's eye is the sign that you have the log in your own? Speak Lord!"
----
I guess all these ultra-religious blogs are really examples of how religion is taking up more and more of some believers' time, thoughts and blogspace. I personally think as religions grow, church leaders are learning how to hook and keep people much more effectively. Instead of going to Church once a week, now it seems to be daily prayer/Bible meetings supplemented by constant religious blog posts. I'd like to do a documentary about this some day, something about how being a member of the Church has changed over the years. Someday...

6 Comments:
How can you not post some long bit of snarkyness to someone who leaves comments open after writing "Speak Lord!"
YOU COULD EVEN LEAVE COMMENTS WRITTEN LIKE THIS.
You could say stuff like, "Go make me a sandwich." That's what I would have said. Go make me a sandwich.
Yes, I think Jesus Christ is scary too. I grew up in Iran. And by Iran I mean Texas. How it warms the cockles of my heart to hear French people making fun of priests.
Cheerio,
N.
religion is fascinating to me. not for me to follow, but to see other people's crazy ass dedication to it.
i just don't get it!
here's my favorite
http://www.molatar.com/index.htm
wtf?
Nice website, scott B... and J, I can only grin as I imagine the look of horror on your ultra-christian neighbors' faces as they watch you do yardwork in a bikini! Hehe
I've got to say this from a different perspective (I found your site through J's site, btw). I was raised Southern Baptist. I went to a Baptist college, so I knew a great number of people who were like this. I even tried to be like that and failed, which is what broke all religion and spirituality in my life for years.
As scary as those people could be, they were usually honest to a fault, and not in the least bit dangerous. I feel sorry for them, really, as they'll either be like that forever, or have to go through serious mental problems to get out of it. And they're generally people who are just trying to be good. Just my thoughts.
thanks, mike. I don't think religious people are bad people at all (well not all religious people anyway, some are bad) I didn't mean to say that they are. I think they are confused, that's all.
Post a Comment
<< Home