Differences between working in Vancouver and LA
So far, I have had a few immediate impressions of Vancouver people vs. Los Angeles people.
1. At work in Vancouver, people spend the great majority of their time WORKING. In LA, wandering around shooting the shit is considered "networking" and takes up a significant portion of every day and is not frowned upon. Sometimes it's the only way to find out what's going on with the project.
2. As a correlation to number 1, people in Vancouver only work 8 hours a day FOR REAL and, from what I've seen, seem to get just as much done as US people do in 10 hours a day or more. I like this.
3. It seems like everyone in LA is half-actor, all cheery and extra outgoing and crap. Here people don't act like your best friend the first day they meet you. It will take some getting used to for me (last night I was thinking, "don't they like me?") but at least I will know who my friends are.
4. As a correlation to numbers 1 and 3, my co-workers in general here are MUCH BETTER at what they do then my co-workers in Los Angeles. I think that's because the focus here is not on acting like you know what you're doing, it's on doing the job. So far, it seems like everyone here can do the job at hand very well, and I really really appreciate working with competent people.
We'll see how well I fit into this mix, will my skills hold up? There's only one way to find out...

1 Comments:
i might need to move to vancouver...
Post a Comment
<< Home