Aha! I knew it!
So, my first week on the job I got a pretty good idea that one of my new bosses is gay. It wasn't awkward or anything, I have had several gay bosses in the past, no problem ONCE I KNOW THEY ARE GAY. I don't know why, but it's that not-sure part when you first meet someone that makes me nervous. In the past, when I've had a gay boss another co-worker would talk to me privately, saying something like, "you know s/he's gay, right?" and that just gets me right over the awkward "is he or isn't he?" phase and into real life.
Today, quite abruptly, my boss came into my office and introduced me to his parner. So then I knew, but it was all direct and awkward. I was ashamed to be nervous, but I was. I didn't want to act or say anything that in any way could be construed as bad or not being okay, so I compensated by being a total nerd.
The partner smiled at me, shook my hand, and said "how are you?"
"Nice to meet you!" I said.
It was awkward. We chatted a little more, I put my hands awkardly on my hips trying to approximate a "casual" stance that I knew it didn't look like. Finally, they left.
After they left, I thought about what a great smile the partner had. He was so cute! Good for my boss for getting a super-cutie. I just wish I hadn't been such a nerd about the whole thing.

2 Comments:
I get nervous like that meeting new people, whoever they are, but the bosses partner (wife or otherwise) makes me doubley nervous
hehe J... I can't quite imagine partying with my boss. Yet, anyway.
Post a Comment
<< Home