my not so fascinating life

thoughts, links, comments, rants, whatever

Google
  Web Not so fascinating life   

11.21.2004

Delicious Baked Butternut Squash

Today, for the first time ever, I made butternut squash. As part of my ongoing health kick, I'm trying to eat more vegetables, and when I saw that healthy-looking butternut squash in the grocery store today, I knew it would be my dinner!

Except I had never cooked a squash before. So, after some internet searching (gotta love google) and recipe manipulation, I settled on a recipe. It came out so good, I decided to share the recipe with my internet friends:

1) Cut the squash in half (the hardest part of this whole recipe is figuring out what in the kitchen will work to do this. I selected the biggest knife I had, got it embedded as deeply as possible into the squash with a good Whack!, then banged the knife and squash against the kitchen counter as hard as I could until it was cut in half) and scoop out seeds

2) Put squash, cut side up in a baking dish. Add 1/2 inch of water in bottom of pan. Drizzle maple syrup over squash, then dot with butter and add salt and pepper.

3) Cover squash loosely with tin foil and bake at 375 degrees farenheit for 30 minutes, uncover and bake another 30 minutes.

4) Done! You can peel the squash easily once it's cooked and either eat it in chunks, or mash it with milk and some more butter and maple syrup like I did. It's super-healthy (as long as you don't use too much butter) and delicious!

I ate the squash and some leftover Chinese food for dinner. As I was eating it, I wondered how anyone could make a whole dinner, with side dishes, from scratch every night. It must take forever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home