On the Bus
On the bus to the protest, I couldn't help but overhear a conversation between two 20-ish girls sitting directly behind me. One was talking merrily about how thin she was because she exercises and eats right, and the other one was complaining that she's addicted to food. "It's something I struggle with every day," she moaned, miserably.
They went on an on about it for several minutes. You know that feeling you have when you have a mental picture of someone that is totally wrong? In this case, I thought the thin girl was a white, athletic sporty-type girl, and the fat girl would be pretty big.
When we got off the bus, I sneaked a look at those two. I was surprsied to see that the fat girl was very pretty, and hardly fat at all. The thin girl was asian! I think most asian people are naturally thin, especially young asian people. I didn't think it was fair for the thin girl to put the impetus on diet and exercise when her thin-ness probably due in a large part to genetics. Predictably, they did not get off on the protest stop with us and went on their merry/miserable way.

2 Comments:
I've noticed that when a group of women get together it always turns into a bitch session about weight, it's like we don't have anything else to think/talk about.
not all asians are predisposed to being thin.
i have to try. seriously. otherwise, i would be at least 20 lbs heavier. that's not morbidly obese, but it's fat. especially when my frame is on the smaller size.
anyway, yeah. i obsess about it. but mostly because i don't eat right. and i want to eat food that's bad for me and i never had to worry about it before. stupid metabolism.
Post a Comment
<< Home