my not so fascinating life

thoughts, links, comments, rants, whatever

Google
  Web Not so fascinating life   

4.16.2005

Color Correction and Me

Yesterday a small need took me on this huge graphics adventure. I was thinking about taking headshots for a friend of mine, and I wanted to know if I could put that cool headshot-edge thing on the edge of the picture. I had no idea HOW but I knew it was possible.

So I downloaded this free bare-bones Photoshop-type program called The Gimp, and I started on a tutorial and learned how to do it. It took several hours, but I was fascinated at the capabilities of the program and learned a lot more than I meant to.

One of the best features of the program is photo retouching/color correction. Take a look at a view of the New England Fall Colors I took about a year ago or so:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then, after using some of the Gimp tools:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The picture, not very good to begin with, really comes to life after some fiddling. This is really fun!

5 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Photoshop and use it almost everyday! Nice touch up, it looks good.
Terry

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jay said...

It's really subtle. I wouldn't have thought the second one was retouched had it not been for the side by side comparison, but you're right, it really does make a difference.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger grace said...

yeah! what jay said.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

very nice

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger kilgorsky said...

I once had some time and wanted to learn to use Photoshop. I thought 1 hour would be enough but I was so wrong.

Great job with the pictures, GM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home