I did it!
It went okay. I would say a strong okay. I feel good about it. This is how it went:
I was packing to go, and I realized that I couldn't bring my photographic equipment to the wedding in a shoebox. Even if I was just doing it for the cost of film, that is just too unprofessional. And you all know I am nothing if not professional. So I shoved the shoebox in a black "Travelpro" carryon-type bag that looked professional enough and headed out to the wedding.
I knew it was going to be a lesbian wedding, so when I saw a short-haired woman in a tuxedo I was pretty sure she was the one I was looking for. She introduced me to her fiance. The only thing that surprised me was that they were an older couple, in their 50's. They were so warm and thanking me all the time for photographing their wedding. I said "Wait until you see the pictures before you thank me!" Luckily, they laughed at this. They were also jittery with nervousness which was very cute! They were very good looking in the "older wiser" type of way, so I knew they would photograph well. Also, their ceremony was beautiful which was a big plus.
I don't know much about their story but I could tell they were really in love and that getting legally married (yes gay marriage is legal here in BC) meant so much to them. There were tears many times throughout the ceremony, and the Priest made a big deal about signing the Registry. I actually found myself getting emotional a few times during the ceremony, I'm such a sap.
I tried to be unobtrusive and not in everyone's faces, while still getting adequate coverage of the ceremony. I think I did a good job at that part, I used higher speed film and a long lens so I could get good close shots without being close. What I did a worse job at was the "posed" pictures. I personally HATE posed pictures, and so did the couple, so we just did a very few poses, a few different framings for each pose, and left it at that.
Anyway, after it was all over they thanked me profusely (again) and invited me to have a spritzer and some cheese and crackers with them, which I did. I wasn't sure if there is a professional rule that says don't hang out with the people getting married, but they seemed nice and I did anyway and enjoyed myself.
I think I got plenty of shots, but I won't know for sure until I get the film back. But I think it went well, and I feel good about the day, and I'm having a beer to celebrate right now!

5 Comments:
How cool is that?
Yes, the photographer usually gets to go to the recepiton and eat and drink free, I think it's one of the perks
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
pretty cool...an exceptional day in a strangers life photo collage...you should have an awesome collection after a bit.
spit - I hope you are right-- I love perks.
yt- awww, you are a sap too!
that is so great!
i'm sure you got lots of pics you could use! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home